SPREE Schools are filled with children who are critical thinkers, effective problem solvers, and environmentally responsible decision makers. These schools have adopted South Platte River Environmental Education (SPREE) across all grade levels. When the South Platte River is a centerpiece of instruction and curriculum, everyone benefits.
At SPREE Schools, every student comes on a SPREE adventure each year of elementary school. When starting in ECE, by fifth grade, students have experienced seven school-based excursions. They have developed a meaningful personal connection with the river and its inhabitants.
We know through our program evaluations that students who receive high-quality environmental education in multiple grade levels engage with it more deeply. The Greenway Foundation also invites SPREE School families to take part in weekend family events, summer camps, and school break camps that deepen this connection to the river and our wider environment. It’s a holistic approach that gives kids the knowledge and skills to grow into engaged citizens and take action on environmental issues.
SPREE School Benefits
SPREE Schools who commit to prioritizing the South Platte River and environmental education receive additional benefits, including:
- Priority Registration – SPREE Schools register for field trips before registration opens up to all schools
- Reduced Fees – Through the fundraising efforts of The Greenway Foundation, SPREE Schools enjoy discounted fees for SPREE field trips.
- Professional Development – SPREE offers training for teachers at SPREE Schools upon request. SPREE supports teachers in the classroom with planning and implementation of river related projects.
- Weekend Events – Students attending SPREE Schools are offered priority registration for SPREE Family Events.
- First in Line – When SPREE offers new programs, SPREE Schools get priority registration.
Current SPREE Schools
There are currently 15 SPREE Schools, including: Cory, Denver Academy, Fairview, Farrell B. Howell, Garden Place Academy, Grant Ranch, Gust, Hallett Academy, Joe Shoemaker, McKinley-Thatcher, Montclair, Trevista at Horace Mann, Southmoor, Steele, and Teller.
Become a SPREE School
We are not currently accepting applications for new SPREE Schools.
In the meantime, register your interest by filling out this form. We will respond when we are able to expand this program.